How many of you have read even a bit of Esmeralda? A few hands? Okay, that’s good. I just need a couple of opinions.
I am nearly finished with my first draft (nearing that dreadful ending I have to somehow rewrite to work in with new elements of the plot) and I am starting the exciting/tedious process of setting it into book form, in the Blurb BookSmart editor, so I can send in the files and have a real live book-version of my story sent to me. *claps hands* Yay!!
I have this little love affair with witty/profound/poetic quotations (my “Wilkommen” about me page is proof of this) and I want to put a relevant quotation right before the title page. I have scrutinized my “favorite quotations” Listhings board, and have narrowed the list of candidates to the five listed below. Would you let me know which you think is/are best fitting for the story?
Here they are:
1. “We owe it to each other to tell stories.” ~Neil Gaiman
2. “Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark.” ~Kate DiCamillo, The Tale of Desperaux
3. “In the light, we read the inventions of others; in the darkness we invent our own stories. ” ~ Alberto Manguel
4. “Stories can conquer fear, you know. They can make the heart bigger.” ~Ben Okri
5. “All stories are lies. But good stories are lies made from light and fire. And they lift our hearts out of the dust, and out of the grave.” ~Mike Carey
And then, with the “book” version of Esmeralda comes a new cover…ish. The image I’ve been using on Figment is too low in quality for a full-sized book cover, so I’ve done my best to enhance the stock image, and print the title as best as I can. The font is new, but the picture is the same. Don’t be mad. 😉